Moulay Ismael Mausoleum
Built in 1703 and restored in 1960. A string of patios lined with blind walls leads to the ablutions court, surrounded by a colonnade. Along the walls runs a stucco frieze. The mausoleum room is separated into two parts: one profane and the other sacred. On the right are the royal tombs: Moulay Ismaïl rests surrounded by members of his family. At the corners are four Comtoises clocks offered to the sultan by Louis XIV. On the back wall, the family tree of the Alawites is unfolded horizontally. On the left, a beautifully decorated hall serves as an antechamber. A delicate marble fountain in a Solomon’s seal basin occupies the centre of the room. Admire the 17th century cedar ceiling.